LiveCode Personal Banner

Jeffrey Massung massung at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 18:10:45 EST 2010

Comparing LC - a development environment - to a generic piece of software (like GC or Notepad), is like comparing apples and oranges.

One splash/nag is there because you haven't paid and is encouraging/reminding you that software isn't free and could you please support them by paying for the use you are getting out of it.

LC and other dev environments are about creating software that can potentially be distributed to another user. So if you were going to compare it to other software creation environments, compare it to BlitzBasic, LispWorks, Dolphin Smalltalk, REALbasic, or similar. Some have nags, some don't. Some allow compiling w/o a commercial license, some don't. Some limit compiled application runtime duration or memory usage, some don't.

I'm not advocating for or against the banner, less time, more time, or something else. I'm just saying that a $20 (or whatever) image conversion piece of nagware that is trying to convince you to buy is very difference from a low-cost personal edition of a development environment that allows you to create your own software, but let's future potential users know what was used to create it so maybe they'll purchase it as well.

Jeff M.