Gif issues

Andrew Kluthe andrew at rjdfarm.com
Thu Nov 11 16:27:39 EST 2010

Hey there,

I was following the beachball cursor post and decided to add a spinning
daisy gif to my splash screen to compliment the status log that lets the
user know what stage of initialization the program is in.

My splash screen presents a login and upon authenticating the actual splash
comes up, checks for updates, then connects to a database using SQLYoga. I
had made 2 handlers, one for starting and showing the gif, and one for
stopping, hiding and resetting the gif's state.

Everything works as it should until SQLYoga actual goes to connect to the
database. At this point the gif animation freezes until the connection is
successfully made. The rest of the processes for initialization are
lightning fast so primarily the gif is for the wait on the connection to the
db.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I could get the gif to play or
emulate the gif frame by frame (familiar with the process the frame by frame
loop entails, but wouldn't this also be blocked by the SQLYoga db_connect
call?