alerts

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 07:28:36 EST 2010

On Nov 10, 2010, at 11:46 PM, Mark Smith wrote:

> Peter Brigham MD wrote:
>>
>> Here's the way I do it. I show a small display stack, the idea is
>> just
>> that it's a billboard to tell the user that the saving is occurring.
>> It closes after the save is done.
>>
>> on doSave
>>    modeless stack "savingAlert"
>>    wait 10 millisecs
>>    save stack "pdData"
>>    set the lastSaved of stack "pdData" to the seconds
>>    close stack "savingAlert"
>>    go stack "pdData"
>> end doSave
>>
>> -- Peter
>>

> Peter, thanks that looks very close to what I had in mind. And there
> is lots
> in there for me to go explore too (as I've not played with modeless
> stack).
> Sounds like "stack" might be another way of describing a window? Why
> do you
> put the current seconds into the (I'm guessing) custom property of
> pdData?

Yes, pretty much stack = window, though stacks can be invisible, or
have an offscreen location, or be "in use" as libraries and have no
screen presence at all. Stacks as windows have different modes, which
determine how or if the user can interact with them. Check out the
"mode" entry in the LiveCode dictionary.

The saving of the time in a customProp is because I have scripted
things so the stack is automatically saved every 20 minutes, or at
whatever interval the user chooses in the preferences. That feature
was irrelevant to your question and I could have taken it out,
probably should have to avoid confusing you....

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig