More on Beachballs (was Beachball cursor Help)

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Nov 10 02:58:22 EST 2010

Recently, Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:

> Instead of the b/w cursor "busy", I'd love to use the more colorful beachball.
> Anyone know how that is accomplished?

I thought this would be a fun graphics challenge and created a demo stack
that shows two methods of creating an OS X wait cursor (otherwise known as
"spinning beachball", "pizza of death", "pinwheel of death", etc).  The
first option is a windowShape hack which is quite smooth looking (here) and
could work in any recent version of LiveCode.  The second option uses the
enhanced cursor property only found in LiveCode 4.5 and later.  As explained
in the demo stack, it appears that repeatedly setting a cursor to the ID of
an image results in a cursor that flashes -- seems like something that needs
to be fixed/cached at the engine level.  Option 1 has its drawbacks as well
(see the stack info).

Anyway, the stack might be useful in other areas, and you can get it by
executing the following in your Rev message box (note the following is not a
Web link, watch line wrap):

 go url
"http://www.tactilemedia.com/site_files/downloads/custom_busy_cursor.rev"

(Not tested in Windows because Windows has its own objects-of-death.)

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design