OT: Some help with Regular Expressions

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 17:56:10 EDT 2010

Hints to help you

(?i)  means case insensitive
[a-z] means a single lower case alpha char
[A-Z] means a single upper case alpha char
[0-9] means a single digit

(?i)^[a-z][0-9]\.[a-z][0-9][0-9][a-z][a-z]\.[0-9][0-9]$
means
upper or lower case for all matches
\. means a literal period character
^ means a match must start at the beginning of a line
$ means a match must stop at the line ending char

thus the matching string must have the same alpha-numeric positions
and be the same length,
white space not allowed, nor commas, quotes, and other punctuation.

RegEx used to be Greek to me, but then I discovered it does not even
closely resemble Greek.

On Nov 4, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Matthias Rebbe wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> i have to check for an value in the format  XX.YYYYY.ZZZ (e.g.
> A1.B35AZ.001 or a1.b35az.001)
> I have to check if the value is in the right format. I know i can do
> that with matchtext and a regular expression, but
> i do not know enough to get the regular expression to work.
>
> Is there anyone who might be able to help?

Jim Ault
Las Vegas