delete chunk.

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 11:41:16 EDT 2010

In my opinion?  it SHOULD say 3.  2 lines with stuff, and 1 blank. Of course
it says 2, but this is the same reason people "delete the last char of.."
when doing things.  If you fill a field with "this" & cr & "that" & cr, and
then click at the bottom of the field, your cursor goes to the blank line
underneath the 2 lines with text. The line exists, it should be counted.
Looking at it the other way, if you put fred into line 1 of field 1, put
mike into line 2 of field 1, the cr is added between the 2 automatically,
but there is no extra trailing line.  There are 2 lines.

Having text for line 1 & cr empty for line 2 & cr text for line 3, at that
point, line 2 looks and acts exactly like line 2 would look and behave if
there were no line 3. You can click in it, type in it, it acts like a line.
And is counted as a line like it should be.  If however it is a trailing
empty line it is not counted.  It's the same exact thing. A cr followed by
empty.  Simply adding another line after it shouldn't make it magically
appear as a line. either it is or it isn't, at least so it seems to me.

Having said all this, there is most likely a reason it is the way it is that
I don't have enough knowledge to understand.  As with removing trailing
carriage returns, if it's a null item it isn't difficult to work around and
i'm not sure I can come up with a valid reason for actually having an empty
item, but that doesn't mean there isn't a use for it.  /shrug

As a last visual example, I have several spice bottles in my kitchen, some
of which are empty.  If I re-arrange them so that an empty one is on the end
of the row it doesn't cease to exist, and it doesn't pop back in to being
because i put it between 2 spice bottles that DO have contents.