a weird thing about registration, Linux

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 10:26:53 EDT 2010

Has anyone else had this?

I installed and registered my 4.5 copy.  Works fine.  Now, I want to update
the Slug's package.  It won't let me, most likely because its installed the
app in /opt and as user I have no write privileges there.

OK, no problem, become root with the root environment, fire up LC.  Asks me
to register!

Think, OK, maybe this is due to having the root environment, so just do su.
Same thing.

OK, maybe this is something to do with root or root privileges, so log out,
log on as another account.  Same thing.

This is weird.  The only point of installing in /opt as opposed to
/home/user would be to let all accounts have access to the app in a multi
account environment, but it seems in some way to be restricting use of the
app to just one account?  Cannot be, surely?

I can always do it manually, download the package, delete the existing plug
in, so that's not a problem.  The problem is if registration is restricting
to just one account on a machine.  To be clear, no-one else uses Rev on my
machine, but for various reasons I do use multiple accounts on the same
machine myself and can't see why I should have to register not only by
machine, but by account.  Anyone else getting this?

Peter