rev stacks on the iPad

Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com
Sun May 30 11:22:16 EDT 2010

On 05/30/2010 at 10:49 AM, Bill Ziegler <billziegler at mac.com> wrote:
> I have tried to follow all the threads on revMobile and running rev
> apps on the iPad.
> My question may have already been answered but I missed it. I am an
> assistive technology consultant in Pennsylvania and use runRev stacks
> to support students with disabilities. Apple's locking out revMobile
> is frustrating and disheartening. The iPad has a unique cool factor
> with students who would otherwise shun a device for fear of looking
> different. It could provide, when paired with runRev, a portable/
> programmable environment allowing teachers to adapt curriculum on the
> fly while the student is seated among their peers.

Bill, I applaud your efforts in working FOR kids with disabilities. Several
years ago, I had some experience with the AlphaSmart for my own child. I
managed to convince then to allow the use of a pocket WinCE device because
the OS was similar to the classroom PCs, which made the learning curve less
than with the AS. The AS wasn't that bad, but I can see how intuitive
software on touch devices like the iPad and Android tablets will make a
huge difference.

> My question is this;
> Is it possible to tether the iPad to a Mac or PC, using Bluetooth or
> Wifi (not Internet), located in the same room. Essentially the iPad
> would act as a touch interface AND display for the host computer,
> respond with little delay and channel any audio through the iPad.
>
> I don't have experience with ipad remote apps but have read that the
> "logmein" app doesn't transmit audio to the iPad.

There are many ports of VNC for most OSs. I don't remember for sure whether
audio is included or not. I know that RDP for Windows can pass through
audio.

> Thanks,
> Bill
>
> Sent from my iPad

It is too bad that developers may have to tip-toe around Apple "LAW" to
help children, but this is what I see... Rev has stated that Enterprise
customers can develop apps for internal use within their own company. These
apps will not be sold. Therefore, if a school system wants to help kids
with disabilities, they could staff a Rev developer, and maintain an
enterprise license of RevMobile. Am I missing something here?

~Roger Eller