How to hide scroll if field does not require it

Web Admin Himalayan Academy katir at hindu.org
Wed May 26 13:00:08 EDT 2010

Formatted width was the obviously way to go, but as with some many xTalk
things: how best to implement?  attached it to the field (as you have
done) put it in the stack script and call it when the card is opened,
what if you have a menu that is loading the field by chosing a folder...

I don't do enough professional apps to always know what is the best way
to do things, I pretty much hack my way through to something that just
works. I'll use Devin's little handler.

I'm creating right now a fairly sophisticated little app for revision
control of InDesign Files  for  a team of editors (since Adobe saw fit
to drop it's Version Cue product, which was badly broken anyway) has
more code than anything I have done in the past (nearly 400 lines now in
the stack script)... I'm already in trouble trying to use "private
command preopencard" to prevent things from happening when substacks are
opened, but if you privatize commands, sometimes they just don't work
and I don't understand why.  I got a lot of globals going and sometimes
they just turn up empty....at least from a handler's point of view, but
if I check them in the msg box, they have values! dunno why, nothing is
resetting them, so I started setting up custom props on the fly as these
seem to be less volatile...  I'm starting to wish I had a better grip on
"best practices"  Hence I always run to this list for help from the pros.

command enableScrollbarIfNeeded pFldName
   if the formattedHeight of fld pFldName>  the height of fld pFldName then
     set the vScrollbar of fld pFldName to true
   else
     set the vScrollbar of fld pFldName to false
   end if
end enableScrollbarIfNeeded

Thanks Devin!