RunRev on iPad (New)

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Wed May 26 11:48:13 EDT 2010

On May 26, 2010, at 7:36 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> > I bought it and it works great!  It probably is using VNC under
> > the hood.  The speed is great.  I have not tried video yet.  But
> > the screen refresh is very quick and usable.  The mouse moves like
> > if it was connected via wire as a second monitor.  There is no
> > pinching as in VNC.  There is no virtual keyboard.  For our use
> > we could create one through the software we intend to run on the
> > device.  It does what it says it is supposed to do.  It turns your
> > iPad into a second monitor.  It costs $9.99.
>
> That, and a second computer. :)

Our software is sold on a iMac as it is.  So the secondary app we develop would run on that computer.  The app we made is a remote control for our vision testing software.  The cool part is that a doctor's office of 6 exam rooms would install the software on only one computer.  The doctor would be able to control all the exam rooms with a single device do to our pairing feature and using a network.  It does everything as well as our netbook solution minus the video.  The video comes over at about 5-10 frames a second.  This was tested with a 720p animation from apples website.  We can still have our product auto update since it is a normal app running on a standard computer.

This solution is not going to be for everyone.  It will only be useful to those that were going to need LAN connectivity anyways.  Apps that were designed to run in the field will still need a true iApp.  The other option is to go with Rodeo if you have WAN connectivity.

Citrix is coming out with a solution that lets one use a Win server to run apps on iPads.  The AirDisplay solution is a much more affordable, albeit simplified solution that will only work for certain apps.  I am sure the author of the app did not intend it to be used this way.  Maybe they will improve on it or make a new app that makes it do more of what the Citrix solution offers.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
http://www.canelasoftware.com