Windows 7 Question

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 21 12:49:08 EDT 2010

derocco at ix.netcom.com
> From: Francis Nugent Dixon
>
> I develop my stacks on my Mac, but have a Splashstack.exe for running
> them on PC's.
>
> In order to find the systems disk (so I can build complete paths to my
> external files), I use the command
>
>            if the platform = "Win32" then  put line 1 of the volumes
> into field "PCDrive"
>
> and build the paths starting with field "PCDrive".
>
> Disk C (the usual systems disk) was always the first entry in the
> volumes list in Windows XP, etc..
> In Windows 7, I now find "A" (the floppy diskette used if the user
> didn't want to boot from the hard drive).
>
> In the comments section of the Volumes section of the Rev Dictionary,
> I find :
>
> Disks which are physically installed or inserted into a disk drive,
> but are not currently mounted, do not appear in the list returned by
> the volumes function.
>
> If this is so, why does floppy disk A (inexistant) appear at the head
> of the Volumes list ?
>
> Second question - does the "platform" command return "Win32"  for
> Windows 7 systems ?
> (I don't have a Windows 7 system available to test my stacks !)
>
> In the face of this problem, how can I pick up the systems disk ID in
> a Windows 7 system ?
>
> I am running Revolution 4.0.0 - Build 950 on an iMac OS 10.5.8
>
> Many thanks for any pointers ....

There are various environment variables in Windows that you might use. Both
"windir" and "SystemRoot" point to the Windows OS's directory, typically
C:\WINDOWS. I don't recall if "SystemRoot" was there all along, but "windir"
was there since the early days of Windows; indeed, it was spelled with lower
case letters so that the DOS SET command couldn't manipulate it. There's
also "ProgramFiles", which typically refers to "C:\Program Files". Not sure
if it's possible to configure Windows to put this on a different drive from
the OS, but some Googling might come up with some more info on this.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:p