Rodeo: 2 questions

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu May 20 16:52:29 EDT 2010

Andre-

> David,

> I don't think you'll reach problems of scalability that easily. Twitter and
> Facebook have scalability issues, you'll probably be fine for months before
> reaching scaling issues even if you're really successful.

Twitter, Digg, Reddit, etc are indeed reaching the scalability limits
of their databases, and are moving into the NOSQL world of Cassandra,
Hadoop, CouchDB... but you need to up at the level of shoveling around
petabytes of data before you need to start dealing with those issues.
And dealing with NOSQL databases means you need to know your data
formats and how you're going to be using them before you start,
because once you slice and denormalize your data into various storage
compartments you lose things like the ability to do adhoc searching.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net