HyperCard for the iPad

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 20 15:10:41 EDT 2010

Yes, mostly agree with this.  The link quotes earlier says:

"I was working at Apple when this process happened, and I can tell you that
it was searing. Apple had invested countless hours and dollars marketing
those products as prominent reasons to buy Macs, and then we saw that
investment turned against us when the apps were made available on Windows."

You see the mentality - and I say this as a former Mac user, sometimes
accused of being a Mac Fanatic in the day.  The problem is they are under
this fatal illusion that what you do is invent a must have app, keep it to
your platform, and then force people who do not want your platform on its
merits, to buy it so as to get your must have apps.

What you then find is this tension between app and platform.  Filemaker, for
instance, says that we could sell a ton of this if we can do a Windows
version.  The hardware people probably say today, we could sell a ton more
hardware if only we could put Windows on it.  The OS people say that they
could sell a whole bunch more if only they could allow it to run on third
party hardware.

Someplace in Cupertino there is Politbureau sayinging no, life is as it was
in 1985....  Alas, it is not.