Getting an Audio Plugin Created ( was RE: [audio] Call for anupdated enhanced quicktime audio library ora small audiocomplementary library!)

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Thu May 20 14:19:26 EDT 2010

Again I stress that if we try to put too much 'stuff' into this library
(read: special effects) that it will distract from getting a solid
foundation for us to build on. Rather than insisting on the inclusion of
arbitrary, possibly lower-quality reverbs and time stretchers, I would
rather see an ability to  *use plugins of at least one type from the
beginning* to narrow the focus of what really had to be made to get us "on
the air" with better, cross-platform audio control in general.

Midi is really a separate issue - and has anyone made a Quicktime Midi
external? Is there 'more in there' that can be grokked out for both
platforms? Trevor?

 Remember once one gets into the realm of special effects libraries; the
good ones are going to cost money to license. Ultimately, there's no free
lunch here. This stuff has all been done before and researched, it is not
trivial coding. Using plugins would open up a much larger world for Rev as
an AV builder (along with video enhancements in another project ). We
wouldn't need the timeline feature right away either -- and I disagree with
the other poster about their being no need for better metering as I propose:

*f18   A metering object that deals with real time display of peak levels
for x channels*

All that is available for level metering currently is the recordLevel
property, which has to be constantly polled while displaying in some kind of
progress control. It serves no purpose but to show that 'something is
happening' (which has been the basic concern of video guys for 60 years).
 It is not useful for setting levels, does not show stereo levels, and is
not available when not in record (which is exactly the time when one needs
it).

Another use for the meter input would be as a ONE-BIT input -- easily
accomplished with a simple noise source and contact closure. But I digress,
except to say there's a lot more that can be accomplished here besides
munging audio.  All this 'stuff' would be also useful for* higher speed data
collection*, something that Rev could be really good at.

It would be fast - more than enough to detect accurate taps.

I would humbly suggest that RTAS be the standard for plugins - many
inexpensive one-man shops are turning out impressive plugs and selling for 0
to 200 dollars and in most cases are cross-platform. VST could be added
later.  I don't know if audio units would be worth it, unless the rich
interface of the plugins can be shown. I've seen a lot of problems in that
area.

We need primitives for the Audio Object first.

Fud for thought