Rodeo: 2 questions

Jerry Daniels jerry.daniels at me.com
Thu May 20 11:55:27 EDT 2010

I've worked on several projects with massive numbers of simultaneous
users and hits against data. Did this for Nortel, a broadband wireless
company and another small telecom.

The trick is to know where to scale the hardware and where to put the
data and where to put the logic.

Look at it in four tiers:

1. Client machine/software (rev client, let's say)
2. Web server (apache, of course)
3. Web application server (assume revServer CGIs)
4. Data (whatever you like...i prefer to roll my own, but to each his/
her own)

The cheapest, most scalable and fastest performing are all the same
solution:

1. Client: thin
2. Web server: thin, but round-robin'd the IP addresses to 1 of the 13
app servers
3. Web app server: hefty, almost fat
4. Data: thin and agnostic (NO stored procedures)

At Nortel, we had 13 app servers. Cheap high-performance Dells. $2000
each. We had ONE database server (SQL server). Most of the code
(logic) was on the app server. We had 30 thousand users logging their
hours against 50 thousand projects. We had 5000 simultaneous users
ever Friday afternoon.

We did have a chron job that ran each night to populate the app server
with highly indexed data for project look up.

The whole thing ran on a browser. Today I would have used a Rev client
app, but I would have kept it very thin.

Best,

Jerry Daniels

Use tRev's buy link during your 7 day free trial to get 20% off:
http://reveditor.com/tag/shouldiswitch