Cloud computing: scalable DB

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed May 19 15:04:00 EDT 2010

I need a sanity check for many reasons, that is one.

Just imagine that I am working on a company that sends email marketing and
that we send about 10 million emails per day... it all comes from that
database you saw. 6 thousand tables governing the process of mailing and
tracking 10 Million emails per day and rising.

Everyday when I arrive back at home, I pour myself the easiest thing to open
in the fridge (may it be juice, soda or beer, whatever is handy) and just
drop on the sofa. The only turing device that I allow myself to use at that
mental stage is my iPad because it is simple and just works.

There are days that whispering "SQL!" behind me will just make me scream in
horror. And don't let me get started on clients trying to load CSV (yes,
comma separated value) files into this database... I've seen CSV files with
more than 500,000 (half million) records. And they want to load it thru the
use of  LOAD DATA INFILE, now, imagine that those files are Excel dumps and
other silly stuff and that the clients are not checking those files... now,
build a validator for a CSV file with maybe 50 abstract fields one of which
is an email, and that data is supposed to go inside that 6k database...

And it is all PHP using NROOP paradigm which stands for
Not-Really-Object-Oriented-Programming and in reallity means there are a lot
of Objects and Classes not doing what they should do and a lot of mix in the
MVC where the V plays the role of C sometimes and the M went out to lunch
and never came back.

Now, here our bottleneck is actually the database machine. It can't pump out
the data as fast as we need it. There are also other design bottlenecks, but
the email sending part is not one of them.

Can valentina hold 6k tables and millions and millions of records? I could
create a portable version of this system, almost a portable nightmare.