[SQL][On-Rev] Bulk import into PostgreSQL on On-Rev

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed May 19 07:07:37 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin <
ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com> wrote:

> About postgre -- may be you can prepare db on local computer then upload to
> server?
>
> I'm new to On-Rev and I couldn't see where the db files were stored. I'm
hoping Andre or someone else can lead me in the right direction.

Well,

> A) REC community you can ask for that REV team. The more requests the
> better. Right? :)
>
> Exactly - which is why I posted to the Rev Use List. I saw On-Rev and
Valentina mentioned in another thread on the List so I figured it could hurt
to add to the noise :-)

> B) as far as I see On-Rev is a commercial service. Right?
> So it cannot use Valentina Free Server. But I do not see problems why Lynn
> and Rev Team cannot make agreement on usage of Valentina Office Server for
> some small fees.
>
> Well, and I admit I don't understand it fully, but I think this is where
some of the ambiguity of mySQL licensing comes in. I have a local mySQL db,
it's non-commercial, so I don't pay licensing fees. If I set up a server at
home and accessed it over the internet, it would still be non-commercial and
I still wouldn't pay mySQL licensing fees. But that is more expensive than
paying for a hosting service, so I use On-Rev. IMO On-Rev serves my content,
they are not too involved with what that content is, be it html files, zip
file or db files. To me, On-Rev is NOT a commercial DB Server, they are just
a Server, if I use the Server to place my Commercial DB, then it is for me
to pay licensing fees, not me + On-Rev to both pay fees to mySQL.

I can see that this could be difficult to police, but I assume it's no
different to me storing and distributing music/movies on a Server. Should
On-Rev pay distribution fees for movies I store on their Server which I then
download when I'm out of town for the return plane trip? If I let anyone
download the movies, then it is me who should be paying the fees.

It would be nice if you could come to some workable agreement.