Cloud computing: scalable DB

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Tue May 18 12:06:12 EDT 2010

On 18/5/10 4:48 PM, "Andre Garzia" <andre at andregarzia.com> wrote:

Hi Andre,

> Thanks for dropping in the thread. One thing that I think is stopping some
> rev developers moving to valentina is that there's no valentina server for
> revServer. The FREE Valentina server has adaptors only for ruby and php, if
> we had RevServer support or at least a public available protocol to talk to
> valentina server then we could implement support in RevServer itself.

As revServer you mean this?
    http://www.on-rev.com/home/

Why you talk about Valentina Free Server?
Why cannot be used Valentina Office Server?

> I think that David is doing some web development since most of the uses of
> SimpleDB and RDS are related to web apps. Right now, we can't do web
> development with valentina and rev. Which is a pitty since valentina is
> deadly fast and provides the key-value stuff.

Why you can't?

Any OS platform. You install VSERVER, make your REV app.
Host them together. What problems?

Plus the same VSERVER can be touched by any other Valentina Client
    from C++, C#, ObjC ... To PHP, RB, REV, Director, ShockWave, ...

> I too believe that no one here will reach the limit of a single server. I am
> working right now on a system which has one database with 6 thousand tables
> and millions and millions of records and it still a single mysql server. And
> before you all curse me, I didn't design this stuff, I arrived at it after
> THREE earlier programmers, I would never design anything with 6 thousand
> tables...

That is cool :)

2 weeks ago I have to hear about man with 1000 tables..
You have new record :)

> Now, if Paradigma Soft was to enter some agreement with RunRev team to have
> Valentina Server deployed in the On-Rev cloud not only everyones life would
> be easier but you might also see some new customers since the ability to
> code once for one DB and use the same code in desktop apps and web app,
> would reduce the costs of development and increase ROI (this is me
> channeling Richard).

This is question to top-managers :)

> What most users want here is just some kind of persistance and minimal
> querying. Many here don't even do joins or views or fancy SQL stuff.

To keep e.g. Prefs?

For this exists ini, xml files :)
RDBMS is really not required here.

> What people need is an easy way to make a little persistence and querying.
> Which I think valentina might be a cool solution.

Well, I can say that Europe AOL team have test Valentina 9 months ago to be
used as AD-search key value service. Right now they seems to be on Berkly
yet. And of course they have used C++ way. Valentina have win as they have
told. In the same resources of RAM and hardware Valentina did produce zero
time outs while others did produce failures of searches. And searches was
really very simple key/value. Word -> AD picture... 1 record in result.
Unfortunately economic crisis have prevent that project so far.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology