Cloud computing: scalable DB

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Tue May 18 08:18:01 EDT 2010

David,

I've been looking at the same things. I am a user of Amazon S3 and I made
tests with SDB as well (not from rev at this time).

Depending on the data you want to store, you might want to check out the
following noSQL databases:

* CouchDB http://couchdb.apache.org/
* MongoDB http://www.mongodb.org/ (there's a mongo db hosting service at
MongoHQ )
* Cassandra http://cassandra.apache.org/
* Riak http://riak.basho.com/

I think these are the future of storage for stuff that is not "too
relational". We don't have plugins/adaptors/code to link to any of those
tools but if you're going to write yourself a plugin why not something like
these?

RDBMS are quite complex tools and sometimes they are used for the wrong job
and then designing table schemas become like trying to teach an elephant to
ice skate, if you're patient and wise enough, the elephant will eventually
be able to ice skate but anyone looking into it will be at the same time
amazed and afraid.

I think most of the data we're trying to store these days is document based
where we have something abstract which we call a document and this document
have properties and fields where we store data or other documents such as an
address book can have different entries and fields for different contacts.
This kind of "problem" is easily solved with the above solutions and harder
to code with plain old relational systems.

Hope this is useful

Cheers
Andre