Trying to get my head around process...

planix dr.alistair at gmail.com
Mon May 17 23:00:25 EDT 2010

Hi,

I must be at a loose end because I have some time to play around with things
that I think I will need in later rev projects. Perhaps it is still beyond
me as I am still pretty new with runrev. Anyway, I wonder if I am getting
this right.

I want to understand how to use the process commands. Windows XP and runrev
4.0. So, I thought I'd start with something I know a bit about- ping. I put
the following into the message box (multiple lines);

put "cmd.exe" into tMyProcess
open process tMyProcess for text update
write "ping www.google.com.au" to tMyProcess
read from process tMyProcess until end
put it
kill process tMyProcess

... and ran into several problems

1) Nothing showed up in the message box response, so the put obviously
didn't work
2) Nothing was echoed to the cmd prompt window but I sort of didn't expect
it would
3) The cmd prompt window did not disappear and the process wasn't killed or
closed
4) I couldn't use the runrev IDE at all and had to quit and restart

I guess this means that I don't really understand this at all.

yet if I do this...

put "ping www.google.com.au" into tWords
put shell(tWords)

I get the expected response. So, at least I may be understanding the shell
command. Nonetheless, I would like to get a handle on using the process
commands.

Anyone have some examples or thoughts on my simpl(istic)e attempt at this?

cheers