Rev Menus [was Re: Location of stack]

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon May 17 12:54:58 EDT 2010

Mark Wieder wrote:
> Jacque-
>
> Monday, May 17, 2010, 8:59:41 AM, you wrote:
>
>> As far as I can see, the confusion comes from those who don't understand
>> the scrolling behavior. Once they get that, it falls into place.
>
> Sorry, I'm with Jeff on this. There are (at least) three things I
> never use in the rev IDE: the menu builder, the geometry manager, and
> the database query builder. They all need to be dumped or completely
> revamped, the way the animation thing was swept under the rug.

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just wondering what better way would be
available. I don't personally have any trouble with menu builder, I've
found it to be solid and reliable, but I won't argue if others do. I use
menu builder in virtually every project as a quick way to set up a
menubar with skeleton scripts, and I find it a very convenient shortcut.
I won't argue with you about the other two features. ;)

> The fact that you had to write a long explanation on your web site of
> how to deal with menus is a good reason for reworking the way menus
> are handled in the engine

Okay, but to be fair, the "long" explanation was part of a tutorial on
how to convert HC stacks, and the actual info about how menus work was
only a couple of paragraphs in that. Most of the info is an explanation
of the differences between HC menu structures and Rev's (i.e., objects
vs. scripted menus), tips on where in the conversion process HC converts
should address menu creation, etc.

> not an excuse for "you just don't understand".

What's your response to those who don't get how externals work? Or
groups and backgrounds? Or the message hierarchy? Aren't these all
things we need to understand to work with Rev?

At any rate, as I said, if anyone can come up with a better solution for
managing Mac menus then we should propose it to the team. The current
system may not be as transparent to newcomers as we'd like, but it does
work, so it's likely to remain unaddressed unless we can suggest a
better way.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com