Search Many Docs to Return Search Results

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat May 15 14:57:00 EDT 2010

I feel like I'm about to reinvent the wheel here... and I believe I even
posted this query once before but am having trouble finding the emails
where some good souls responded previously

Can anyone who has created any search-many-docs scripts  post their
library or scripts for  returning search results? or point to a stack
online that has contains scripts that will serve?

We want to the user to enter a term... Rev will dig a number of html
files. Not many, so, we will just read them from disk.

The search "engine" will step through the documents and return a list of
hits. We retrieve the entire line using lineoffset and move on to the
display we want to show the user about 100 chars before and after the
term found and then post this to a search results field, where she can
see the results, hover over the small excerpt will pop up the whole
line-paragraph, and a click will open the document (set the html text of
a field to the doc) and take her to that place in the document.

I have parts of the above here and there in various stacks, especially
the last part I have some code that steps through a field and sets the
highlight color of the search term and the user can quickly scan and see
his term in color...  and I think I can put it together, but... I'm
guessing many of you already have various flavors of this scenario
already built and much better coded than I could do. so, if anyone has
any snippets for any part of the above scenario I can put them together
with what I have.

Thanks!

Sivakatirswami