Thoughts on Kevin's announcement

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 12:24:06 EDT 2010

On May 12, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Michael Kann wrote:

> As usual, Jim has provided us with a great explanation of how it all
> fits together. My first question: Why don't you gather up all your
> posts and put out a book?
>
> I just want to add one small addition. All the popular javascript
> libraries, jQuery et. al., are popular because they have built-in
> browser sniffing. Instead of heading to quirksmode.org directly, a
> person could either use or deconstruct those libraries to find out
> how to do it.
>
> Mike

I, too, like the JQuery libraries, but the real catch is that
development of apps usually requires that the programmer handle
specific needs/inconsistencies much sooner than library updates (eg.
JQuery) become available.  Also, running large libraries when your app
only needs a small subset can lead to headaches when conflicts arise.
One example of headaches can be seen with WordPress themes and plugins
that use PHP libraries written by a variety of authors.

One factor when designing a project is to anticipate all the
innovations that mobile/browser implementations will incorporate in
the future.  This will be a shifting landscape for many years to
come.  An example will be the Google Android updates.  Another example
is legacy browsers that do not interpret HTML5.

As far as any book, highly unlikely.  My specialty is internet
marketing and my two client campaigns consume all of my available
time, and will do for the next couple years.  The On-Rev server, cgi,
php, irev will be integral and essential components of my marketing
operation.   I am sure I will have multiple accounts and numerous
libraries.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas