[OT] Licensing question

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed May 12 09:29:46 EDT 2010

  On 12/05/2010 15:08, Ian Wood wrote:
> Did he buy an upgrade or a full install? If he just has an upgrade
> then it's s definite no-no.
>
> Ian
>
> On 12 May 2010, at 12:47, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine has just gone and bought a Windows 7 install
>> disk and is busy installing it on his expensive, bells-n-whistles
>> PC. He wants to give me his Vista install disk so that I can bung it on
>> a P4 for testing. As he is upgrading to Win 7 he doesn't feel that
>> this is a "wicking" thing to do.
>>
>> Any bright ideas about the legality of his idea?

No; it is not an upgrade disk, and it is not an OEM that came with the
machine.

However; he has told me that the disk will install a functioning system
that will run for
a month prior to registration, and that I could run it for a day just to
do my testing
and then blank the disk; presumably this is no worse than running a Demo
program ????

As I really am not screamingly interested in Vista (or Windows in
general) I am merely
looking for a way to do about 3 hours testing of my software (a user has
reported a
problem; which, if it can be reduplicated, is a general RunRev bug)
without, quite frankly,
having to pay for an install disk. However, for various reasons, I am
not overly keen on
breaking the law.

Another friend of mine offered me the loan of her laptop running Vista;
but I really
don't want to run the risk of bu**ering up her install.

What I need to do is this:

Bung Vista on an old P4 1.7GHz, 512 MB RAM I have lurking under my bed;
bung RunRev
Studio 4 on it; run both the original stack and the standalone - ONCE,
to ascertain if the
problem is real or just a problem with this chap's individual install.
Wipe the disk.

Time for all this (inc. OS install) about 120 minutes Max.

If the problem is real, there is nothing I can do about it and it has to
be lobbed back to
RunRev so that it can go on the list of bugfixes: which I very much hope
is not the
case as they have a backlog going back for yonks.