News on revMobile

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon May 10 16:48:09 EDT 2010

I would like to offer my personal apologies for my defense of Steve Jobs and Apple. If I had been asked to bet on whether or not Steve Jobs would have accepted the very fair proposal that RunRev made, I would have give odds that he would. I think I see now that Steve Jobs is taking the stance that any development environment for the iPhone/iPad that is not their own is unacceptable, even if the finished app is demonstrably identical to one from their own compiler.

So this is NOT about interpretation layers and compatibility after all, as he let on in his now famous post. This is about absolute control. I just had a very long chat with an Apple Store employee. I got to the place where he insisted that Apple has always exhibited this level of control over their products. I said, "Really? Well actually they have not. Would you really want the same kind of approval process we have for iPhone/iPad apps enforced for ALL apps for ALL apple products?" His answer was, "Well if it improves stability, sure, why not?"

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Bob