Check out Jerry's new videos -- REV to ObjC -> iPhone

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Mon May 10 16:15:07 EDT 2010

> Like I said in another post, what would have happened if many
> of the apps originally written for the iPhone were so buggy
> they were causing kernel crashes all the time? Who would get
> the blame? Apple of course. Any attempt to defend themselves
> would have been deemed finger pointing.

I don't want to dig into this snowball but I have first hand experience with
this on Mac OS.

Apple isn't shy about blaming the developer at all. When I was at Now, and
later at Qualcomm peddling Eudora, I had first hand knowledge of Apple
support blaming bugginess on the developer, no matter what the cause. Later
when those early, very lame releases of Mac OS X were released and an
application caused havok, it was the vendor's fault, not that the underlying
structure changing so radically from a .# to .#.

Apple finger points just fine if they think its necessary.

There is a less draconian solution. Make it possible to install non App
Store apps, but have all the restrictions apply to App Store apps. That way,
if Apple is right and non tested/non conforming apps are so bad, then
customers will only buy from the App Store. That lets the customer and the
market decide. App Store apps can even live in a different partition to keep
them separate from dirty, filthy non conforming apps, so that they could
survive a hardware reset.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Mirye Software Publishing