Accessing data from HID compliant USB device

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat May 8 02:30:37 EDT 2010

> This one has been churning around in my head for ages, and I finally bought a couple of joysticks to experiment with.
>
> I want to build a standalone that responds to joystick input.  Nothing requiring huge amounts of data or processing, just detection of joystick position -> onscreen response scaling or moving an image.
>
> I can understand the basic principles of HID, but can't get to grips with where the data goes in either Mac or Windows, and what would be involved in capturing it in Rev.  I have found some developer articles which address this, but they relate to other languages (VB & RB, I think).

Does the joystick produce keyDown/Up or rawKeyDown/Up messages? If so,
you could map out the numbers that each motion triggers and have your
app react accordingly.
There is a utility on my web site that detects keystrokes and displays
the various codes for them.
<http://www.troz.net/rev/stacks/KeyCoder.rev>

Cheers,
Sarah