sound volume - sound engineering

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Thu May 6 03:10:04 EDT 2010

The audio level control on the mac is not "tapered" for audio.  Physical
volume controls on audio gear use a LOG taper. Once in a while one will run
into a consumer product with a LINEAR taper volume control in the circuit -
and you will notice it - most of the level change will appear in the first
30% of the taper.

Once upon a time I built an audio control surface, and used linear Penny and
Giles conductive plastic linear faders. The faders were hooked up to a-d
converters which remotely controlled level in a rack elsewhere. I had to
create a look-up table in software to recreate the analog "feel".