Changing the Style of Words in Field And Quotation Marks?

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Tue May 4 18:45:06 EDT 2010

On May 4, 2010, at 2:00 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Jeff Massung wrote:
>
>> I use this "feature" quite often in almost all my Rev apps. On
>> Windows, when
>> applications install themselves they update the registry saying how
>> to use
>> various types of file extensions. For example:
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.mov\shell\open\command
>> "c:\Program Files\QuickTime\QuickTimePlayer.exe" "%1"
>> I use word 1 of that registry value to get the path to the
>> executable in a
>> way that can also be passed off to the shell function and "just
>> works".
>> However, some applications don't actually need the quotes (e.g.
>> c:\rebol\rebol.exe) and therefore don't add them. And it's quite
>> nice that
>> parsing the first "word" still works there, too.
>
> That's a convincing example. Plus, backward compatibility would be
> shot if it were changed.

Well, for what I use Rev for, the present convention is still a
hassle, but in view of the fact that there are apparently good reasons
from others' points of view, I won't file a bug report/enhancement
request. Having to change a bunch of code when things suddenly stop
working with a new version is no fun, I know.... I'll continue working
around this "feature."

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig

UPDATE, v. In software, to alter the program by introducing a new set
of bugs, typically even more unexpected and serious than the user has
been accustomed to.