AW: AW: need advice for keeping file flags in a zip

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue May 4 14:22:08 EDT 2010

I suspect that Ditto, when making a copy is not actually making the copy itself, but telling the OS to do it. It would make sense that the OS, when making a copy, would preserve all the appropriate OS flags.

A zip program on the other hand, has to create it's own compressed file structure inside the file the OS knows about. It would then be up to the developer to set the flags appropriately, as the OS has no part to play with what is going on inside the compressed file. But I don't speak from real knowledge, but rather from reason based on the years of knowledge I have with computers. And reason, however good it is will not get you to the point of knowing.

Bob