Apples actual response to the Flash issue

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue May 4 05:15:10 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Chipp Walters <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:

> The whole point of this is, if someone like Jon Stewart calls Apple,
> "Appholes," then things must be pretty bad.
>
> Wow, stereophonic reply. Certainly had me scratching my head there for a
sec.

Thanks for the pointer on Jon Stewart, personally had no clue who he was.

Your comments on 'trades in the same hipness currency' is extremely valid.
If anything will hurt Apple, certainly their hipness rating going down will
effect the bottom line.

Unfortunately there are at least two ways for hipness rating to go down.
First is to become the in joke. The second is to make mediocre products. The
first will be short lived if you continue to make 1st class products as
discerning consumer will continue to recognise the product for what it is;
the joke will fade. The second is inescapable if you continue to make
mediocre products.

Maybe I do consider Steve a rock star, because I generally like the music he
plays ;-) But you are right, he's produced some flops. I've stated already
that I'd have thought there would have been a more middle ground solution,
but then I don't know all the facts - none of us do. I do know that I like
the level of perfection Steve requires of his products. If, through
bureaucratic intervention, Steve is forced to allow mediocrity, then
regardless of what Jon Steward might joke about, the hipness factor will be
permanently effected.

I'd much rather see this resolved my market forces, rather than bureaucratic
intervention, and I fully accept that Jon Stewart is part of market forces.

I guess I don't understand why people feel that they should be free to
dictate how Steve Jobs runs his company, yet Steve isn't free to dictate
what standards are to be met to make the grade.

PS. I do appreciate that it is extremely unlikely that Apple will be forced
to pass every App ever submitted, no matter how stick man, kill barney, it
might be.