User Extensions/Externals

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 3 18:52:34 EDT 2010

> From: J. Landman Gay
>
> Startup is the only time you can set the externals of a stack and have
> it work. The handler will never trigger during development because the
> IDE gets the startup message. But when running as a standalone, the
> mainstack will get a startup message and the externals get set
> correctly. Then I just need to remember to put the external files in the
> correct relative location in the standalone folder before shipping.

As someone who's just learned enough of Revolution to write one rather basic
app, I'm having trouble understanding the documentation on the "startup"
message. The docs mostly seem to be about U3 drives, which is irrelevant,
but the example implies that in a non-U3 situation the mode parameter is
empty. But then there's this: "If the application is opened with multiple
stacks, the startup message is sent to the first stack opened." Does this
mean to imply that something different happens if there's only one stack? If
not, does it get sent before preOpenStack? Do I understand your example to
mean that it happens before the externals are loaded? Does preOpenStack
happen after the externals are loaded? If so, then it looks like I could
simplify my code, and just do everything in the "startup" handler.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com