Changing the Style of Words in Field And Quotation Marks?

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Mon May 3 16:18:20 EDT 2010

I tried your approach and got bogged down, and finally cut the Gordian
knot by avoiding the problem altogether. What I ended up doing was
making sure that there are no true quotation marks in the text field
-- use "smart quotes" instead. Open quote = numtochar(210) and close
quote = numtochar(211). In my stack I use a rawkeydown handler to
ensure that user-typed quotes are replaced with the appropriate smart
quote. If the preceding character is in cr & space & tab or the char
is the first char of the field then replace with numtochar(210) else
replace with numtochar(211). (For imported text, process the text
using the same rules before putting it into the field.) Then the word
counts work properly and all you have to do is make sure that any
colorization/formatting excludes an initial or trailing smart quote
(looks better that way).

The general problem here is that, contrary to all other computing
contexts I know about, in Rev anything enclosed by true quotation
marks is regarded by the engine as one word. This causes no end of
problems for text manipulation (which I do a lot of). PITA.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig