User Extensions/Externals

Thierry D. th.douez at gmail.com
Mon May 3 14:47:46 EDT 2010

Le 3 mai 2010 à 19:56, J. Landman Gay a écrit :

> The dummy stack trick is just a clever work-around to allow you to load an external on demand. It isn't required. It sounds like what changed was the standalone builder rather than the way externals work, but I'm not sure either how that works under the hood.
>
> Sometimes I wish that dummy stack trick hadn't been announced. It's very handy when you need it for some reason in particular, but it causes a lot of confusion too. I never use it.

It's a clever trick ( from Mark W. if I remember well ) when one is writing externals.
This way one can set automatically to the dummy stack the path of the external builded in Xcode.

Usually, for one external, we have few builds. the simplest case is one for debug
and one for release. They are 2 differents files in your Xcode environment , and
it's tricky to always be aware to upload the right one...
But from the user's point of view, it's not that usefull, maybe a bit challenging.

Concerning  your recipie from the previous email, it works only in your context.
Pass your stack and your external to someone, and you're stuck again !

That was why the lesson about "how to safely attach your external... " was made.
  ( useful  only for those sharing stack + external associated with. )

From my little point of view, if the external property was relative to the path of
the stack instead of the engine. it would be less troublesome....

My 2 french centimes

Regards,
Thierry