Print Card is broken in Linux because of resolution dependence

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 31 13:04:42 EDT 2010

I don't agree that you have to fix resolution independence to fix this one.

Consider the case of open office.  If you print a 12 point times document,
it prints the same regardless of your screen resolution. Consider GIMP.  You
print a graphic with a certain pixel dimension, it comes out the same on
paper regardless of how large or small it was on screen due to your screen
resolution.  The problem Rev has is that it is somehow using the screen
layout to set the print size.  This is what its doing wrong and what it is
unique in doing.

It can and should fix print card without fixing resolution independence.

Then, there are two things it can do to fix the IDE display, also without
having to fix resolution independence.  The first is, make the dictionary
display in a browser.  This way you can enlarge the font at will.

The second thing is to do what open office does to the menu bars, just have
three sizes and have people pick one.  Which, I would think, you probably
should do anyway to comply with disability provisions, if you want to sell
into state institutions, which in Britain includes most schools.

I also do not think this is a Gnome issue.  I almost never use Gnome.  But
the problem is identical in Fluxbox or WMII or KDE.

This is a Linux problem, not a DTE problem, and its a printing problem, not
a display problem, and it comes from doing print card as a sort of screen
capture, instead of some 'real printing', whatever that would be, like the
other Linux apps do..

Where is the source code for revPrintField?  I'll take a look at it.  Its
probably way beyond my intellectual energies at this point, but you never
know.  It can't be worse than what I am ending up committed to doing in
awk....