Printing in Linux

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 10:25:38 EDT 2010

  On 29/03/2010 16:43, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> Well, it gets worse.  The problem is, when installed, the print card into
> does not work on a real printer the way it does on cups-pdf.  It must be
> that it varies with the printer being installed, and also with the
> distribution, and maybe also with the screen resolution.
>
> I am really at my wits end on this.  Basically the only solution is probably
> to assume that Rev on Linux does not have a print function at all, somehow
> rewrite it to pass all the quantities into a file, and then print that in
> any other application.
I wonder if;

what with my big 'grunt' about fonts, and Thine about printing,
and others' about Revbrowser, and so on . . .

if we should not get up some sort of petition, at which point
the folks in Edinburgh can say "Yea" or "Nay" so we all know
where we are, what to expect, and so on, rather than this sort
of shilly-shallying about ?

Now; were the Runrev folk to say "Yes, we are listening and we are aware
of these shortcomings, and we are working on them, and here is some sort
of timescale to go by." We could all stop 'grunting' and get on with things.

And, were they to say "No." We would know where we stand as well.

I believe, and a lot of other folk besides, that Linux is a power to
be reckoned with, and that "jumping into bed" with only the 2 dominant
commercial players in the Operating System stakes is, at the very least,
unwise.