[OT] Screen Res Surprise

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 25 16:46:48 EDT 2010

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

>   Having released a large number of incremental versions of my
> Devawriter, that is targeted at screen resolutions of at least
> 1024 x 768 (and, ideally more, to allow for the transliteration
> palette), I have been surprised at the volume of requests for
> a smaller windowed version.

 From these stats:
<http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp>

...it would seem a safe bet that one could adopt a standard size of
1024x768 for most apps.

But that doesn't take into account the nascent netbook market, most of
which uses WSVGA (1024x600).

These days I'm targeting 1024x600 as my minimum for most apps, with
resizable layouts that allow people with larger screens to enjoy their
extra space while still offering a good netbook experience.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World