[OT] Screen Res Surprise

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 15:56:24 EDT 2010

  Having released a large number of incremental versions of my
Devawriter, that is targeted at screen resolutions of at least
1024 x 768 (and, ideally more, to allow for the transliteration
palette), I have been surprised at the volume of requests for
a smaller windowed version.

I made one:

http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/richmond/dwriter.html

DevawriterSS  (Small Screen - not 'Secret Service', 'Silly Snail' or
'conSpiracy theorieS')

which is jolly charming - especially as it took about 12 hours of
fiddling around
resizing images and repositioning them.

Now; the wisdom of hindsight:

Had I realised that there were people 'out there' desperate to learn
Sanskrit (??????)
running Clamshell, G3 Macs (screen Res 800 x 600) and iBooks (screen Res
1024 x 768)
I would have taken 800 x 600 as an initial standard.

So, if anybody asks me again, the screen resolution to target one's apps
at I will probably
tell them to take a look at the oldest machine that can support Mac OS X
10.3.9, which is
the original iBook Clamshell with a max screen res of 800 x 600.