scripting applescript menu-clicking questions

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 10:43:44 EDT 2010

Off the top of my head...

On 25 Mar 2010, at 13:48, Bernard Devlin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am having trouble with getting applescript to click on menu choices
> in Safari (there is nothing in the dictionary for what I'm trying to
> do).  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to handle these things?

Buy Prefab UIBrowser. Absolutely indispensable for this kind of stuff
even though it hasn't been updated in a couple of years.

> Secondly, will Safari be able to do these actions in the background?
> I mean, in the script I'm currently working on, Safari is told to
> "activate", then everything else happens.  Can I script menu
> actions/button clicks without Safari becoming visible?

Anything involving mouse clicks *have* to be done with the target app
frontmost. Menus will probably be the same.

> Finally, assuming that all of this is possible, is there a version of
> Applescript/OS X before which such things would not be possible?

10.2 required an additional download for GUI scripting, 10.3 had it
built-in, but full features came with 10.4 and above.

Ian