Cursor questions

Stgoldberg at aol.com Stgoldberg at aol.com
Fri Mar 19 17:09:34 EDT 2010

Here are the directions for producing   cursors for Revolution that won't
come out white:
1.   Open Photoshop. Name the image, Mode being RGB color, Background
Transparent, and width and height 16 pixels.
2.   Change Image/Mode to Indexed Color, using the defaults for indexed
color (Palette: Exact; Forced: Web; Transparency checked; Matte: none)
3. With image maximally magnified, used the pencil tool to insert black or
white pixels.   Enclosed areas can be filled with white or black if desired
and pixels can be erased if desired.
4.   Save as PNG.
5.   Bring the PNG image into Revolution and note it's ID number (it may be
1003 for instance).
6.   In the script to call the cursor write:
on mouseUp
set lockcursor to true
set the cursor to 1003 -- if that's the ID number
end mouseUp

All cursors should show up fine on both Mac and Windows. (I used Mac OS X
with Revolution 2.7 in development)

It is interesting that sometimes there can be two identical pictures in
Photoshop, one of which will show up cursors correctly and the other will show
up only a white square or a black filled image, even though all the
parameters in Photoshop seem to be the same!!   I don't know why this should be the
case but it implies that there is something different about the two images
even if not apparent.   This can be easily corrected either by creating a new
Photoshop 16x16 document, carefully duplicating the pixels of the defective
image, or more simply, just pasting the defective image into the new
Photoshop document.   The cursors should then appear fine.

If you would like a group of many new cursors produced this way, let me
know and I'll be glad to send them.
Stephen Goldberg
stgoldberg at aol.com