Possible virus warning

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 08:02:25 EDT 2010

  On 19/03/2010 13:27, Robert Brenstein wrote:
> On 19.03.10 at 15:35 +0800 Kay C Lan apparently wrote:
>> DMGs (and the Mac Installer) are the standard way Macs distribute
>> software. Yes you could try some other methods, and that might be
>> easier for newbies, but those in the know will be thinking, not
>> normal, therefore alien conspiracy;-)
>
> Indeed, DMG as means of installing on Macs has been around for ever,
> relatively speaking. DMG is a newer version of what Classic Mac users
> knew as IMG. A wave of people switching from Windows to OSX created a
> wave of complaints about installing by copying, due to their
> Windows-based habits. Apple's PKG installer (and its earlier variants)
> have been around also for ever as well as commercial installers like
> InstallerVise. Most programs don't need installers, so why bother? Mac
> users know how to drag to copy. Ex-Windows users have to learn. If
> somebody needs an installer, the developer can use one. As others
> mentioned, there is even one native to RunRev. Everyone needs to judge
> what their user base needs. There is no one-fits-all solution.
>
> I find the comparisons of installing on Mac and Windows, like in the
> links from Richard, sadly funny. Multiple steps for Mac listed vs only
> 3 steps for Windows conviniently ignore the fact that there are
> usually several steps within the windows installer. Silly.

All those lists comparing Windows with Mac, and then slagging one or the
other off are silly,
because they don't address real computer issues.

I use Ubuntu Linux in my EFL school for the following reasons:

1. tatty-old PIII PCs run faster with Ubuntu 5.10 than with Windows XP
and don't crash.

2. I couldn't afford licences for Windows XP for all my PCs

The first reason is a real computer reason; the second one is only
related to my bank account;

the 2 types of reasons should not be confused or used to back up each other.