how to set the textStyle of word 1 of the selection?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Mar 17 14:06:34 EDT 2010

BNig wrote:
> Jaque,
> I like your solution a lot. I modified it a bit in case a word is not fully
> selected in the first place. It would only set the textstyle to the selected
> part of the word.
> -------------------------
> on mouseUp
>    select word 1 of the selection
>    if the number of words in the selection = 0 then exit mouseUp
>    put word -1 of the selectedChunk into tFieldNbr
>    put the number of words of char 1 to (word 2 of the selectedChunk) of
> field tFieldNbr into tWordNbr
>    select word tWordNbr of field tFieldNbr
>    set the textstyle of the selectedChunk to "link"
> end mouseup
> -------------------------
> This way a user will have the textstyle of the word changed even if he did
> not include the last letter or two in the selection. Selecting text with a
> mouse can easily be one off for a lot of users.
> regards
> Bernd

Good point, you're right. But I think it needs to use word 4 of the
selectedchunk, or else it fails if the first selected character is a
space. We also don't need the first selection any more.

on mouseUp
   if the number of words in the selection = 0 then exit mouseUp
   get the selectedchunk
   select word (the number of words of char 1 to (word 4 of it) of fld \
      (word -1 of it)) of fld (word -1 of it)
   set the textstyle of the selectedChunk to "link"
end mouseup

I wanted to keep it to 3 lines again but it got too hard to read. It
isn't all that easy even now...

Love these little brainstorming list things.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com