Add file to Custom Property

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Mar 14 14:06:47 EDT 2010

Bill Vlahos wrote:
> The data will be stored in a different stack. How does that make it
> different?

Where the file is stored doesn't matter. The issue occurs after
extraction; you have content in a variable at that point, and almost no
apps will open content that is in memory (outside of pasting from the
clipboard in some cases.) If you are using the "launch" command then the
file absolutely needs to be on disk.

In some cases, if you know what file type the content is and you know
which app needs to open it, and if the user has that app on disk, and if
that app is scriptable, you can use AppleScript to transfer the content
in RAM over to a new document. You may also be able to do the same with
a VB script on Windows (but I don't know much about VB, so I'm not
sure.) But this approach depends on knowing a lot about the file content
itself and the content of the user's drive, and won't always be dependable.

Rev has the ability to open stacks from RAM. So the one exception to the
above would be if the stored content is actually a stack file. In that
case, you can extract it, use the "go stack" command, and Rev will open it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com