Add file to Custom Property

Jeffrey Massung massung at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 21:21:15 EST 2010

On Mar 13, 2010, at 8:08 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Bill Vlahos wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to skip the writing to disk part and just open it directly?
>
> If it is another stack, then Rev can open it from memory. Otherwise, no. The usual solution is to write to the temp directory, with an obscure name if you want, and then delete the file later when you're done with it.

I just feel it important to note that (depending upon your needs) this is very far from secure.

First, the temporary file can be intercepted mid-operation by a secondary process that's monitoring yours and watching the OS for new open file handles (all easily doable).

Second, you'd have to blast the disk sectors where the temporary file happened to be written to with random data (perhaps several times over) to ensure that you eradicated the once you were done with it.

Sorry if that's way over-the-top, but when someone mentions encryption, network security, copy protection, etc, I just want to make sure someone doesn't leave thinking something is a great solution when it possibly isn't (again, given your needs, this may be more than adequate).

Jeff M.