Czechmate: [OT] need to hire Rev programmer Was: how to preserve character set encoding when creating a text file?

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Fri Mar 12 20:43:31 EST 2010

Sorry for the repeated post, my subject line was backwards before.

We need to hire a Rev programmer who is expert at international character set encoding, has a Windows XP system, and who can solve the following problem:

> In Czechoslovakia, the "Application Data" folder on Windows XP is called "Data aplikací". So, when we get specialfolderpath("26") on Windows, the path looks something like this:
>
> C:/Documents and Settings/Username/Data aplikací/OurFolder/
>
> In Rev, all works fine.
>
> But when we create a (regular or binary) text file from a Windows standalone:
>
>  put tBatchCommands into URL ("binfile:" & theBatchFileLoc())
>
> the Czech character in the text file is transformed into this:
>
>   C:/Documents and Settings/Username/Data aplikacÌ/OurFolder/
>
> (You can see the last character in "Data aplikacÌ" has changed)
>
> When telling cURL to execute this batch file, obviously it cannot find the path and an error results.
>
> This has only been a problem for Czechoslovakian customers, I think because in most other countries, the translation of "Application Data" doesn't contain any double-byte characters, though it has been a problem with some user accounts with accented characters
>
> Obviously we are messing up the character encoding when we write the text file and the character is changed.
>
> Again, just to be clear: This is NOT a problem WITHIN Revolution, ONLY when writing a text file using the command above.

If you know how to write a text file on Windows that preserves international character sets, and are available and interested, please reply off-list.

Thanks!