lubURL nuances

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Thu Mar 11 09:01:24 EST 2010

Richard,

I will mix my answers with your questions, please, be aware that my answers
are not the ultimate truth but products of all my million failed connections
during the last few years.

> 1. Is "put url..." a blocking command?
>   I believe it's supposed to be, but find I can sometime do other
>   things while it's running, including submitting subsequent
>   "put url..." commands.

many libURL commands will try to queue multiple calls to the same host, here
it usually does not work.

> 2. In such a circumstance, the second attempt to "put url..."
>   meets with an error, "Previous request not completed."  I've
>   found that once that error hits the original request sometimes
>   runs into trouble, requiring me to use libUrlResetAll and
>   try again.  Is there a more graceful way to handle that error?

The only way I know to handle liburl stuff such as "previous request not
completed" is to use the reset all command. You may be able to query the
opensockets and close just the socket that you want.

> 3. libUrlResetAll comes with a warning not to use it. :)  But I've
>   found it the simplest, most reliable way to cancel all socket
>   activity and start fresh.  If that's your goal, to reset all
>   socket stuff and start fresh, is there some downside to using
>   libUrlResetAll that I've overlooked?

The only downside that people might not be aware is that this will probably
close your database connections as well. I am not sure and I am not sure if
RevDB will try to reopen them on their own in case they break, but I believe
that if you resetall, they break. This is not tested, it is just an opinion
and since RevDB revamping, I think it is running on another thread or
something similar so its own socket connections might not be affected by the
resetall command.