very strange rev behavior

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Mar 4 23:15:03 EST 2010

rand valentine wrote:
> For some reason, Rev has started taking 50 times as long to open as it used
> to, and the menus are so slow as to be completely unusable. I thought the
> program was frozen, just a spinning beach ball for minutes on end as it
> started up, then slowly it went through the process of opening and finally
> opened. But choosing any menu item just creates a spinning beach ball that
> lasts for several minutes. Clicking on the Close button in a window also
> produces a good minute of beach ball spinning.

That sounds like the symptoms of opening a stack with many thousands of
cards. Are you working on something like that?

If you are launching Rev by double-clicking a large stack, then that
would account for the startup delay. The menus stall out because on each
mousedown in the menu, Rev has to rebuild it's groups list and some
other menu items. It has to look at each card briefly to do the groups.

The recommended number of cards is around 5 thousand, give or take a
few, depending on how many objects are on the cards. I've done okay with
10,000 in one project. I wouldn't go much more than that. The public
recommendation is 5-6K.

The MetaCard IDE is more responsive with large stacks because it does
very little behind the scenes. You could try switching to that in a
pinch, but MC lacks a lot of the niceties you may depend on. It's pretty
much raw engine.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com