COPY PROTECTION of Rev Project

Ted tedl at voyager.net
Thu Mar 4 15:21:44 EST 2010

Hello, I have two questions for the Revolution Sages:

1. Recently, I had to move years' worth of old software to a new machine, and
because I couldn't locate one of my keys, I contacted the vendor.

This got me thinking. Suddenly I saw myself, five years from now, as a vendor,
tied to a desk with a bank of ringing phones, giving out keys to customers
from five years before.

What are others' experiences with this?

(I got into this business so I could retire, not babysit a ticking bomb.)

2. I seem to remember Bill Gates' once saying that rampant worldwide piracy of
Windows had greatly helped Microsoft capture the market, because it kept Linux
at bay.

In certain cases, how might a lack of copy protection work as a competitive
tool?

Thanks,

Ted