AW: OT: locking software to one specific machine?

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Thu Mar 4 14:12:46 EST 2010

We use "phone home" authorization that uses machine-specific info. In
case of a user with two computers, a hard drive crash, etc., we let
people authorize additional computers with their email address and
password so they always have access to what they've purchased.

We "police" our database in case someone gives out their info, we can
"pull the plug" on any pirated installs.

Works great, in tens of thousands of customers, only encountered a
tiny handful who were not connected to the Internet. In these cases we
can do a "manual registration".

Cheers,

Josh