File Associations?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Mar 3 13:07:00 EST 2010

Recently, Scott Morrow wrote:

> This post has the scripting I use for "Relaunch" so that multiple instance of
> the app won't launch.  I'm using it with a Splash-screen design as well. There
> are 2 script blocks, the first of which has to go at the stack level.
> [ snip ]

Thanks Scott.

I'm part way to a solution.  Apparently "relaunch" only works with the stack
bound to the engine in the splash standalone.  I was trying to use it with
the main stack opened by the splash app (the splash stack was immediately
closed after launch).

I also learned how to get the path of a double-clicked document using the
environment variable $1 at startup, so if my app is launched by a document,
it will load the document after launching.

But I'm still facing the disassociated file issue.  Documents saved by my
app with a custom file extension continue to show up with the generic
Windows document icon, instead of the custom icon in my standalone, and
bring up the "choose application" dialog when double-clicked. I tried your
suggestion of manually assigning the icon via file properties, and it did
change (to the icon of an app somewhere else on the drive), but I'm not sure
where in the registry this was updated (if at all).

[sigh] Hours being sucked away by these details...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design